Made the BEST Teriyaki Tofu Lettuce Boats for dinner this week.
I am LOVING creating simple, easy and quick dinners for busy weeknights.
This recipe was dreamed up after trying another recipe that I usually make with ground beef, but wanted to do a no-meat version. So here it is 🙂
You could easily switch out ingredients to suit your tastes and family preferences, such as the cucumbers for zuchinni or the carrots for avocado, or you could just put out as many sides that you want and let everyone build their own 😉
This is my method for those picky eaters that seem to pop up in every family – LOL!
Teriyaki Tofu Lettuce Boats
- 2 Pkgs. Organic Extra Firm Tofu (drained & pressed, crumbled or chopped/cubed)
- 2-3 T. grapeseed oil (or EVOO works too)
- 2-3 T. minced garlic
- 2-3 cups cooked rice (choose your version, sticky – basmati – jasmine – brown)
- Romaine Lettuce – 2-3 medium to large leaves per person
- 2-3 medium http://healthsavy.com/product/cymbalta/ carrots shredded/grated
- 1 large english cucumber diced
- 1-2 medium bell peppers any color or a combo
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts (chopped, optional)
- 1/2-1 cup Teriyaki Sauce (preferably a gluten free/low sodium version)
- Hoisin Sauce (optional)
Cook Rice according to package directions. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add drained, crumbled tofu. Cook browning for about 5-7 minutes. Add in minced garlic and continue to cook 1-2 minutes, don’t let the garlic burn. Add in teriyaki sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes or so to let the flavors mingle and coat all of the tofu pieces well.
Assemble the Lettuce Boats:
Place 1-2 medium to large Romaine leaves onto plates and top with rice first, then the tofu mixture. Add toppings as desired and drizzle with Hoisin Sauce or additional Teriyaki if preferred. Enjoy!
These are definitely going on our regular monthly menu rotation! And no one even missed the ground beef 😉